Timeline of Trieste history
Prior to 19th century
1320 - Trieste Cathedral built.
- 1680 - Castle built.
- 1682 - Church of Santa Maria Maggiore built.
- 1719 - City becomes a free port.
- 1753 - Nautical School founded.
- 1755 - Trieste Commodity Exchange established.
- 1756 - Canal Grande constructed.
- 1776 - Karl von Zinzendorf becomes governor of Trieste.
- 1783 - Jewish primary school opens.
- 1784 - L'Osservatore Triestino newspaper begins publication.
- 1801 - Teatro Nuovo (opera house) inaugurated.
- 1809 - French in power
- Population: 29,908
- 1814 - Austrians in power again.
- 1828 - Catholic Diocese of Trieste-Koper established.
- 1831 - Assicurazioni Generali insurance company in business.
- 1833 - Österreichischer Lloyd shipping firm in business.
- 1835 - Schiller Society founded.
- Caffe degli Specchi in business